ExtractsDecember 15, 2017
Botanical extracts are materials containing desirable flavour, aroma or nutritive qualities that are removed from the tissue of a plant, usually by treating it with a solvent such as oil, to be used for a specific beneficial purpose. Botanical extracts fall into 1 of 3 categories:
Lipophilic Extracts: are oil loving extracts and so oil soluble and generally take the form of a macerated or infused oil. Macerated plant oils include oils that have plant matter infused in them in order to extract their oil soluble chemical compounds. Not every constituent of a plant comes over in distillation, only the smaller molecules are captured. Maceration catches the heavier, larger molecules.
Lipophilic extracts used in our products include the following:
- Calendula Petals - Infused in grapeseed oil: They are anti-inflammatory and great for dry, chapped or inflamed skin. Benefits include healing wounds, sores, bruises, inflamed or damaged skin. The petals are from the Marigold plant1 This flower is native to Southwestern Asia, as well as Western Europe and the Mediterranean.
- Carrot Tissue Oil: Beta carotene infused into sunflower oil: The oleic acid offers skin softening and moisturizing, as well as anti-inflammatory properties. Nourishes, tightens, and rejuvenates skin, ideal for prematurely aging dry, and itchy skin.
- Chickweed Leaf: Infused in organic olive oil, rich in minerals including copper, iron vitamins A, B and C, this herb is an excellent emollient and contains anti-inflammatory properties.
- Seabuckthorn Oil: Is produced by macerating the seed or pulp of the fruit from the Seabuckthorn plant in a base oil, typically olive oil. The oil has a high essential fatty acid content but also contains many other compounds including antioxidants. The oil is an ideal choice for any anti-aging blend and is said to help regenerate skin cells.
- St.John’s Wort: Is macerated with the bud and flowers of this summer flowering herb. The base oils typically used for this maceration are sunflower or olive oil. The flower buds contain a compound called hypericin which turns the oil a deep red. This oil has soothing and antiseptic properties.
- Rose Petals: Infused in Grapeseed oil: Has skin soothing and softening properties and promotes moisture retention for normal to dry, mature skin.
- Plantain Leaf: Infused in organic olive oil. Aids wound healing, sores, cuts, scratches; relieves insect bites, dry irritated skin conditions. Contains salicylic acid which reduces swelling and redness.
Hydrophilic Extracts: are soluble in water and are usually extracted with glycerin. The hydrophilic extract used in our products is:
- Seaweed Extract: Improves PH level of our skin, enhances skin tone, repairs damaged skin and increases its elasticity.
Powdered Extracts: are created by freeze drying the plant and then creating a fine powder of the dried plant. Powdered extracts used in our products include the following:
- Bamboo Leaf Extract: Bamboo has been shown to serve as an effective anti-oxidant. Its addition to products softens the skin, smooths the appearance of wrinkles, and adds strength and elasticity to the hair.
- Broccoli Extract: High source of ALA, it is an antioxidant that helps repair skin cells.
- Papaya Fruit Extract: Contains vitamin A, a property that benefits skin repair by increasing the rate of new cell formation.
- Cucumber Peel Extract: Contains anti-inflammatory and skin tightening properties.